ARTICLE VII. BATV STUDIO RULES
1) BATV production equipment and facilities are available at no charge to certified users, providing that the user is making a program for a BHS broadcasting course, Video Club, or morning announcement; or for cablecast on BATV; and is making a program for non- commercial purposes; and obeys all rules and regulations adopted by the Batavia Access Television Board.
2) To become a certified User/Producer, a person shall:
a) complete a BATV Statement of Compliance; and
b) be a resident of the BATV district, and
c) show proof of said residence; and
d) be 18 years of age or older (see exception regarding minors in paragraph 9 below);
e) Must have completed the appropriate training for the equipment and/or facility being used.
3) BATV Staff may grant a waiver of training to persons who demonstrate proficiency with the equipment and/or facility that they propose to use for BATV program production.
4) BATV equipment and facilities may be reserved and checked out only by certified users.
5) A person who ceases to be a resident of the BATV area loses eligibility to be a certified User, Producer and requester.
6) BATV district residents who are 12 to 17 years of age may become certified Users under the same requirements as adults, however, they shall have a parent, in person at BATV, sign the Parental Consent Section of the Statement of Compliance Form before they can reserve or use any public access equipment or facilities.
7) Parents or legal guardians signing the Parental Consent Section of the Statement of Compliance Form shall do so in person at BATV and accept full financial responsibility for equipment used by the minor. This form shall be updated each calendar year.
8) Training and Certification:
a) BATV offers regular orientation, training and certification for persons wishing to use public access equipment.
b) Orientation and the basic class are a prerequisite to all video production workshops and User certification. Completing the appropriate workshop for the desired equipment or facilities and passing the evaluation given at the conclusion of the workshop certifies Users.
c) Users shall complete the required paperwork for certification.
d) After completing the necessary forms, certified users may use equipment at no charge, provided they have been certified on that type of equipment.
e) BATV Staff will use the Certification Checklist when determining if a person passes certification.
f) Special Cases:
I) Persons who have been trained elsewhere may stand for certification after attending a free orientation session. Persons who fail the certification test shall be required to attend a workshop before certification is given.
II) When new equipment arrives, additional workshops shall be provided to train certified Users.
III) The BATV Staff shall arrange workshops for groups by appointment only.
9) The certified user assumes full responsibility for BATV equipment and facilities used during their reservation, and are liable for damage, misuse, or theft, which occurs while the equipment or facilities are in the user’s possession or control. Persons checking out the equipment shall be required to sign a checklist attesting to the condition of equipment at time of checkout and return.
10) Users of BATV equipment and facilities bear full responsibility for their program content and shall be held responsible for any disputes arising from unauthorized use of copyrighted materials.
11) The users of BATV equipment and facilities shall indemnify and hold harmless BATV, the City of Batavia, Comcast and any other representations of BATV, from and against any and all claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses, loss of services, actions and causes of action including attorney’s fees and disbursements arising out of or resulting from any action or use by the user of the equipment or facilities herein described.
12) It shall be the responsibility of each Producer and User to identify him- or herself to any person being taped, especially if the subject is not aware of the taping. At NO time during a public access production may any certified Producer or User identify him- or herself as an employee of BATV, the City of Batavia, or Comcast.
13) Access to Studio:
a) Regular BATV Staff hours are Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. State- observed holidays is the exception.
b) For after-hours access, a key will be available at Batavia Police Department, 101 N. Island Avenue. There will be a list of authorized users that can check out a key at any time.
14) There are four reserved parking spots for use by BATV personnel and volunteers visiting BATV during school hours 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Wilson Street lot. If these spaces are full during school hours, then additional visitor parking is available.
15) All rooms in the Studio are to be left in a neat and orderly fashion. While janitor service is provided to people using the Studio, users are expected to clean up after themselves and return all equipment, sets, props, and furniture to its proper place.
16) Prohibited Items:
a) No live ammunition, incendiary devices, functional firearms or other weapons or illegal items shall be permitted in the Studio at any time.
b) No alcoholic beverages shall be permitted in the Studio at any time.
c) No animals shall be permitted in the Studio without the approval of the BATV Staff. Service dogs are the exception.
d) No eating or drinking shall be allowed at any time in the studio, control room, head end, or office areas without the consent of the BATV Staff. No illegal substances, tobacco or alcohol are allowed on the premises of BATV, this also includes the BHS campus.
e) There is no smoking allowed anywhere on the Batavia High School campus.
f) Users are expected to bring their props and supplies for use in the Studio. Acquisition tapes and editing tapes will be provided by BATV.
g) BATV is not responsible for any lost personal property.
17) Equipment use:
a) The BATV Staff can make exceptions where there is no prior need.
b) The Batavia Access Television Board determines equipment and facility use policies.
c) Only persons properly trained and certified will have use of BATV equipment and facilities.
d) The BATV facility can be used only when a BATV Staff member is on duty, or when certified in after-hours access.
e) BATV equipment and facilities are for non-commercial use. The use of BATV equipment or facilities for economic profit or revenue generation is prohibited
f) BATV Staff and the user will inspect all equipment for proper operation before leaving the Studio. This will include accounting for all cables, parts, and batteries. The user is responsible to account for all equipment. Both BATV Staff and the user will sign a Camera Checkout Form before it leaves the Studio. BATV Staff will retain a copy for the check-in procedure. BATV Staff will assess the cost to repair or replace any equipment that is lost or damaged other than normal wear and tear.
18) Mobile Production Studio (Studiovan):
a) The Station Manager has a form to be filled out and faxed to Comcast. There is a 30-day advanced notice required for the Studiovan.
b) Comcast will supply or authorize a driver/engineer for the Studiovan.
c) Reservations are limited to availability.
19) Facilities scheduling: